Take our Safer Leadership Training!
By taking this training you are taking the first step in becoming a campus leader to end all forms of gender- and power-based violence, including sexual assault, sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, exploitation, and stalking. Learn how to be an ally to survivors, as well as engage in campus- and community-wide prevention efforts!
Once you have been through our Safer Leadership training, you are eligible to become a Safer volunteer! Volunteers are expected to attend monthly in-service meetings and volunteer 5 hours/quarter. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Staff booths for our various awareness months, and other events
- Admin tasks such as helping file papers, create Awareness Month library displays, etc.
- Shadow a prevention intern at their presentations for extra support
Internships & Lead Student Assistant Positions
Become a Safer Lead Student Assistant or Intern!
- Internships are unpaid 2-3 quarter positions, and they are expected to donate 10-12 hours/week. Interns can receive class credit, or simply for personal professional development.
- Lead Student Assistants are paid year-long positions, and they are expected to work around 15-20 hours a week. They lead a team of interns and have more responsibilities - such as leading meetings, delegating tasks, and ensuring the vision of the programming meets our broader goals
The different teams we have available for lead student assistants AND internships are:
- Present general Safer educational materials to the campus and local community
- Ensure that the messaging of Safer presentations is consistent with our mission & vision for violence prevention, and up-to-date with current Public Health recommendations
- Offer presentations/workshops/discussions to classrooms, clubs, and organizations
- Develop relationships with key campus partners
- Create and implement programs catered to the long-term needs of survivors of gender- and power- based violence
- Author the monthly Safer Sun survivor newsletter
- Assist professional staff with the creation of crisis response materials
Events & Outreach
- Plan and execute all Awareness Months (Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October, Stalking Awareness Month in January, and Sexual Assault Awareness Month in April)
- Work collaboratively with Communications & Marketing intern on awareness month marketing and advertising
Marketing & Communications
- Manage various social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Develop & send out monthly newsletters to the general campus community & faculty/staff lists
- Work closely with the Events & Outreach Team to create content to advertise events
- Develop general marketing material for program
Students in graduate programs at Cal Poly can apply for a graduate assistantship! The graduate assistant works 15-20 hours/week, and closely with leads, interns, and volunteers, as well as providing support wherever needed.
- Serve to support and supervise the Events & Outreach Student Assistant, Survivor Wellness Student Assistant, and Safer’s volunteer team. This includes leading weekly Safer staff meetings, leading monthly in-service meetings, and creating ongoing opportunities for students to stay involved
- Provide administrative support in the Safer office
How to Apply
We typically recruit new interns, leads, and graduate students each academic year. If you are interested, please reach out to our general email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can provide more information.