Join the Movement
There are many ways to get involved in this movement, based on your emotional capacity, energy levels, privilege to leverage, etc. Everyone has a place in prevention - here are some ideas to get you started.
EASY FIRST STEPS ANYONE CAN TAKE
- Follow Safer (@calpolysafer) on our social media & repost our information to spread education to your peers
- Subscribe to one of our monthly newsletters here
- Practice pro-social behaviors such as empathy, boundary setting & receiving, and community accountability
- Put Safer's stickers on your laptop & water bottle, or buttons on your backpack to show your public support for survivors
- Attend our events - keep up to date on our social media, and pay close attention to our programming in October (Domestic Violence Awareness & Prevention Month), January (Stalking Awareness & Prevention Month) and April (Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Month)
- Invite Safer to present at your club/organization/classroom
EVEN MORE COMMITTED? HERE ARE NEXT-LEVEL IDEAS...
- Take Safer Leadership Training and volunteer with our program
- Consult with Safer on projects - integrate violence prevention into a class presentation, essay, blog post/podcast, senior project, etc!
- Facilitate your own dialogues with your peers, family, classmates, roommates, etc. about this topic area - dialogue toolkits coming soon!
- Do your own research: read books, listen to podcasts, watch documentaries.
BECOME A LEADER IN THE MOVEMENT!
- Apply to work with Safer as an Intern or Student Assistant
- Become a California state-certified confidential crisis advocate for survivors through RISE or Stand Strong's training programs
- Explore routes to make gender- and power-based violence prevention your career through direct advocacy, policy changes, program directing
Questions about getting involved or ideas to add to this list? Email our Prevention Specialist at email@example.com!