Join the Movement
There are many ways to get involved in this movement, based on your emotional capacity, energy levels, privilege to leverage, etc. Everyone has a place in prevention - here are some ideas to get you started.
EASY FIRST STEPS ANYONE CAN TAKE
- Follow Safer (@calpolysafer) on our social media & repost our information to spread education to your peers
- Subscribe to one of our monthly newsletters here
- Practice pro-social behaviors such as empathy, boundary setting & receiving, and community accountability
- Put Safer's stickers on your laptop & water bottle, or buttons on your backpack to show your public support for survivors
- Attend our events - keep up to date on our social media, and pay close attention to our programming in October (Dating Violence Action Month), January (Stalking Action Month) and April (Sexual Assault Action Month)
- Invite Safer to present at your club/organization/classroom
EVEN MORE COMMITTED? HERE ARE NEXT-LEVEL IDEAS...
- Take Safer Leadership Training and volunteer with our program
- Consult with Safer on projects - integrate violence prevention into a class presentation, essay, blog post/podcast, senior project, etc!
- Donate to our Safer Fund to support our survivor wellness & prevention efforts
- Facilitate your own dialogues with your peers, family, classmates, roommates, etc. about this topic area - dialogue toolkits coming soon!
- Do your own research: read books, listen to podcasts, watch documentaries.
BECOME A LEADER IN THE MOVEMENT!
- Apply to work with Safer as an Intern or Student Assistant
- Become a California state-certified confidential crisis advocate for survivors through Lumina Alliance's 65-hour training program
- Explore routes to make gender- and power-based violence prevention your career through direct advocacy, policy changes, program directing
Questions about getting involved or ideas to add to this list? Email our Prevention Specialist at email@example.com!