Join the Safer Team!
NOTE: A prerequisite for volunteering, interning, or working with Safer is our quarterly Safer Leadership Training - click here to learn more. This training can be completed prior to applying, or even during your first quarter working with us!
Volunteer recruitment is quarterly during the academic year; just sign up for Safer Leadership Training and you will be in the volunteer pool after completion!
Once you have been through our Safer Leadership training, you are eligible to become a Safer volunteer! Volunteers are expected to attend monthly in-service meetings and volunteer 5 hours/quarter. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with Action Month development & implementation
- Administrative tasks such as helping file papers, boothing at events, etc.
- Conduct research on various topics
- Take on a passion project of your own, with staff guidance!
Internship recruitment takes place annually, every spring quarter, for the upcoming academic year.
- Internships are unpaid 2-3 quarter positions, and they are expected to donate approximately 6-8 hours per week (or 12 hours if required by your department).
- Interns can receive class credit, or simply intern for personal professional development.
We typically recruit 4 interns for the academic year. These positions will be generalists, assisting with broader Safer programming.
PROGRAM LEAD POSITIONS
Program Lead recruitment takes place annually, every spring quarter, for the upcoming academic year.
- Leads are paid year-long positions, and they are expected to work approximately 10 hours per week.
- Leads contribute to broader Safer programming, while also overseeing a focus area.
We typically recruit 4 leads for the academic year. Focus areas include survivor wellness, prevention education, outreach, and graphic design.
Graduate Assistant recruitment takes place annually, typically during spring/fall quarters, for that academic year.
Students in graduate programs at Cal Poly can apply for a graduate assistantship! The graduate assistant works 15-20 hours/week, and closely with leads, interns, and volunteers, as well as providing support wherever needed.
We are recruit for 1 Graduate Assistant each academic year, with a focus on prevention education and volunteer management.
(Anticipated) Spring Quarter Recruitment Timeline
- Weeks 2-3: Recruitment/outreach
- Week 5: Applications due
- Week 6: Application review
- Weeks 7-8: Interviews
- Week 9: Team selection
- Week 10: Position confirmations
Positions will begin fall quarter 2023, preceded by an onboarding and orientation process!
Benefits of Working at Safer
- Be at the forefront of social justice & culture change at Cal Poly
- Hands-on experience with public health & community organizing
- Professional staff supervisors may provide references or write letters of recommendation for future job opportunities, graduate school, etc.
- This position may fulfill internship requirements for various majors
How to Apply
We recruit new interns, leads, and graduate students once each academic year in spring quarter. Spring recruitment will begin early April 2022.
Steps to Apply
- Download our fillable PDF application, linked here.
- Fully complete the application. Make sure your PDF saves properly and your answers are readable. If you have any questions about the application, feel free to ask! Be sure to highlight the unique skills and experiences you could bring to our team.
- Update your resume. Make sure it is in chronological order - start with your most recent experience and work backward. One page is sufficient - we're just looking for a snapshot, and will learn more about you in your application and potential interview! Cal Poly Career Services has some great resources for writing a resume and cover letter if you need help.
- Once you're ready to submit your application, send an email titled "Safer Student Staff Application" to Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline listed above. This email should include your complete application and updated resume.
- We will reach back out to you within the next couple of weeks - whether we want to bring you in for an interview or not. Either way, we will be in contact! If, for whatever reason, we have not gotten back to you, you can always email us to check-in.
Application & Interview Tips
- Remember: We're rooting for you! We are not eager to make this a stressful experience - for anyone. Applications and interviews should be exciting and empowering, and we hope to reflect that throughout our process. Whether or not you receive a job offer, we hope the experience is a net positive.
- We will send the interview questions to you in advance, to allow you some time to prepare your thoughts. We're eager to hear your passion areas, your experience, and your strengths - and we don't find that "gotcha" interview questions lend themselves to that.
- Interviews are bidirectional. They're a chance for us to get to know you - and you to get to know us! Feel free to bring questions along that you have about us - our program, our philosophy, our backgrounds. We want to make sure that you working at Safer is a good fit for both of us.
- Career Services also has a great toolkit for interview preparation - peruse as you have time!
If you have any questions about job descriptions, applications, interviews, or hiring - please feel free to reach out to the team anytime through our general email at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team, and for your passion in ending gender- & power-based violence!