Reporting to Law Enforcement for a Criminal Investigation
The decision to contact and report to law enforcement is entirely yours. If you do make the decision to report, here is what to expect from the reporting process:
If you are in immediate danger, call 911.
- Contact an Advocate from Safer, who can explain your rights and accompany you to report.
- All survivors are entitled to an Advocate at all meetings to explain the process, provide support, and advocate for the survivor in whatever way they would like.
- Contact or walk into the Cal Poly Police Department or San Luis Obispo Police Department and let them know you would like to file a report.
Cal Poly PD: 805-756-2281
San Luis Obispo PD: 805-781-7317
Contents of the Report:
- The report to law enforcement will most likely include a description of the assault or abuse with as much detail as possible, any indications of force or coercion, the lack of consent, any signs of premeditation, and a timeline depicting the victim’s emotional and physical response and circumstances.
- The initial report can be challenging and overwhelming for the victim. You are entitled to have a support person with you throughout the entire process, in order to ensure your comfort and safety.
After you report:
- An investigation will be opened, and the police will gather information about what happened.
- Interviews are held, and the survivor will need to give details of what happened. Survivors are encouraged to be as detailed as possible, as this will increase the likelihood of prosecution.
- The length of investigations can vary. Law enforcement will hand over evidence they gather to the District Attorney’s office, who will then decide if there is enough evidence for the case to go to trial.
If you would like to discuss your options or the reporting process in more detail, please make an appointment with our confidential Advocate!
Additional Campus Resources
Maren Hufton, Director of Equal Opportunity & Title IX Coordinator
Phone: 805.756.1400 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Fisher Science Bldg. 33, Room 290