If you are in an immediate emergency or unsafe place, please call 911.
Safer is available during business hours by making an appointment or you can call 805-756-2282. RISE is available 24 hours a day at 855-886-7473.
Campus Advocates at Safer provide much-needed support to survivors of gender- and power-based violence. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- 1:1 confidential support – Campus Advocates are extensively trained on the dynamics of gender- and power-based violence and survivor empowerment
- Accompaniments to health center, law enforcement, and university administrative appointments as well as faculty office hours
- Information on and guidance throughout reporting processes
- Assistance with necessary accommodations to the living and learning environment
- Connection to resources on campus
- Referrals to resources in the community
Safer is currently offering virtual Advocacy appointments:
- Check availability for appointments at www.calendly.com/safer-advocacy & sign up by following the prompts.
- You will have the option to choose between phone-based appointments and Zoom video conference calls.
- Intake paperwork will be sent to your email to complete prior to your appointment.
- At the time of your appointment, join the Zoom video conference or have your phone nearby and wait for the Campus Advocate to call you.
Tips for successful virtual appointments:
- Aim to attend your appointment from a private setting!
- If you can't find a room to yourself, consider selecting a phone-based appointment and taking a walk outside.
- Use headphones for Zoom video conferencing whenever possible.
- Do not share your Zoom link with anyone else, unless they are a safe individual that is attending your appointment as a supporter.
- For video conferencing, sit in a windowless corner or angle your device so that onlookers cannot see your screen.
- Share any concerns for your safety with the Advocate beforehand!
- On Calendly scheduling, there is a prompt asking if it's safe for the Advocates to identify themselves as "calling from Safer". Type in "No" if it is unsafe for anyone in your home or anyone who has access to your devices to have knowledge that you're reaching out to support services.
- Any additional information pertaining to your safety, any privacy concerns, or other outlying details that affect your access to phone-based or Zoom video conference technology can be passed to firstname.lastname@example.org to be addressed on a case-by-case basis.