Reporting to Title IX for a University Investigation

The decision to contact and report to Title IX is entirely yours. If you do make the decision to report, here is what to expect from the reporting process:

Initial Report:

  1. Call or email the Title IX coordinator and tell them you would like to make a report.
  2. Meet with an Advocate from Safer who will coordinate the meeting and support you through the entire process.

Reporting Process:

  1. The complainant (person who has been assaulted) files the complaint, opening the investigation.
  2. Interviews are held, where the complainant explains what happened during the incident they reported, and they name witnesses. The investigator then meets with the respondent (the accused perpetrator) to hear what happened during the incident and to name witnesses.
  3. Witnesses are called forward and all of the accounts are put together. Both the complainant and the respondent hear what has been found and they can make any last comments to be considered.
  4. The final report is made and sent to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities for a determination to be made on whether to bring sanctions against the respondent. Title IX does not decide on the sanctions, but rather investigates and determines if the sexual misconduct policy has been violated.
  5. The decision may be appealed.

Once you report:

  1. Title IX Coordinator will obtain the particulars of what happened, such as a timeline of who, what, when, where, why, and how, to the best of the survivor’s ability to remember. The survivor will have to talk about details of the assault, but they will always have the option of having a support person accompany them and help them through the process.
  2. An investigation will be opened, and a Title IX investigator will gather information and interview any witnesses about what happened.
  3. Investigations are typically concluded in 60-90 working days. The Title IX investigator can make a recommendation of the finding, but the Title IX Coordinator makes the final determination.
  4. The burden of proof is a preponderance of the evidence standard, meaning it is more likely than not. If the accused is found in violation, the outcomes can range from suspension to expulsion.
  5. The Title IX Coordinator and the investigators are, by law, required to be neutral and independent fact finders. They do not represent the complainant and they do not represent the accused. Their job is to get to the truth of what happened and determine if the evidence is sufficient to establish a violation.
  6. Some of the accommodations offered to survivors:
    1. No contact orders and other safety measures
    2. Academic accommodations
    3. Housing changes
    4. Counseling services

Please contact Safer for help navigating these steps with the guidance of a certified Advocate.

On Campus Resources


Phone: 805.756.2282
Location: University Union, Building 65, Room 217
Office Hours: Monday- Friday 9am-5pm

Title IX Coordinator

Brian Gnandt, Title IX Coordinator
Phone: 805.756.1400 or email:
Location: Administration Bldg. 33-290

Cal Poly University Police

Emergency: Dial 911
Non-emergency: 805.756.2281

Cal Poly Health Center

Phone including after hours: 805.756.1211
Hearing or Speech Impaired: Call 711 (Telecommunications Relay Service)
Location:  Building 27 (next to the Campus Recreation Center)
Main Phone including after hours:  805.756.1211
Hours:  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday    8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
           Wednesday  9:00 AM – 4:30 PM

Cal Poly Counseling Center

Location:  Building 27, Room 136
Hearing or Speech Impaired:  Call 711 (Telecommunications Relay Service)
Both During and After Hours Psychological Emergencies - Phone: 805.756.2511
Local Crisis Hotline:  800.783.0607
Hours:   M, T, Th, F 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
            Wed   9:00 AM – 4:30 PM

Cal Poly Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities

Phone: 805.756.2794
Location: Building 81, Hillcrest
Hours: Monday- Friday 8:30am-5pm

Related Content


Admissions Link

Link to the Admissions Website for information on selection criteria, application deadlines, creating your VIP page and more!